Monday, January 19, 2009

Saturday was a: Terrible, Horrible, No-Good, Very Bad Day!!! (or something like that).

Both Eddie and I had plans for this past Saturday. My plan was to go to school to start my MicroBiology class, and Eddie had plans on taking our family van to vehicle emissions to get it smoged as well as various other errands.

We'll, I got to class at about 7:45am and struggled to keep my eyes opened as I sat there waiting for class to start. Finnally our instructor came in and it was shortly there-after my mind was made up...I was soooo gonna drop that class. She had such a thick accent I could hardly understand anything that came out of her mouth. That which I was to understand made no sense...she had NO idea what she was talking about.

So, as we were excused from class for a 10 minute brake, I called Eddie as I walked over to A&R (to drop my class) to inform him I was coming home. Hmmmm....I could tell by the sound of his voice that something just wasn't good. Turns out that our van, in which we had already put close to $2,000 into repairs, failed emissions. We have 4 kids, there is no way we can get by without a van.

Anyway, we were both fed up with the van and the trouble it kept causing us. So, eventhough we can't afford it, we knew we had no choice but to find something better....On to the car dealership we went.

We found a slightly used van, with only 11,000 miles on it, for an amazingly great deal. A Dodge Grand Caravan--it was exactly what we wanted! It has stow-and-go, 2 carseats built into the middle bench seat, is has MUCH more trunk space, and many other odds and ends which we really like. Our kids are quite proud of it...Ryan even named it "Bionic-Car".
Kaylee sitting in the built-in car seat (boy does this picture suck!!!!)

The stow-in-go storage space beneath the middle bench seat.

The boys are proud to show off the roomy-trunk.
And jacob demonstrates how the seat folds FLAT into the floor of the van...it's a good thing he knows how to do it, 'cause I sure don't know how. (and geez does this pic of him remind me a lot of my oldest brother, Paul)

Now we just need to figure out how to pay for this dang thing...but on a positive note, I was surprised when I went online to make the vehicle change on our car insurance, and this van actually DECREASED our premium...must be a pretty safe van.

6 comments:

Krystal said...

I dont think Saturday was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.... you got a new van and a LOWER insurance premium. im sure youll find a way to pay for it. things work themselves out. good luck with school!

Amy O'Neill said...

I know we have mirrored lives, but.... we are NOT buying a new van!! And this better not mean that our van will start having problems and not pass emissions!!! We can't afford it either!! :) That is too bad that you had so many problems with your van, but hopefully somehow it will work out. It does look like a nice van!

Bummer about your class too, nothing worse than a horrible instructor! :\

Kandice and Rob said...

Hey, at least you dropped the class right away instead of suffering through a bunch of them! You can usually tell a really bad teacher right off the bat, huh.

A new car is a good ending to a bad day! I like the built-in car seat.

Gardner Family said...

Sarah! Everyone looks great! Congrats on the new van. And the new baby. And going to school. Wow, it's been a long time since we talked!!!
I was looking at your older posts and saw the pics of Jacob's teeth. Hallie had the same crazy thing. Hers was a crossbite (one top tooth in front and one in back of the lower teeth) and braces fixed them right up. It's not fun paying for them, though.
Good luck!!!

kara said...

Looks like the new van will work nicely for all your needs we are looking for something bigger and safer. I really like the extra trunk space that is cool. Your kids are so cute and Alyssa is a beauty snuggly babies are the best. I agree. Hope you get a lot of great days to make up for the terrible horrible, no-good, very bad one. You deserve it, You make me laugh:0)

Feuerberg Family said...

I don't think you told me you dropped your class. I know you were thinking about it. Sorry that you had to do it. I guess you will do it next semester. Or you could see about taking another class and having Oren watch the kiddos. LOL Not sure how happy he would be about me volunteering him.