Friday, September 26, 2008

Bitter-Sweet...

I think we have found an answer to WHY Alyssa has been demonstrating colic behavior, so it's good news, but bad at the same time. After taking her to the doctor twice (two differant pediatricians) I was told to try her on some Enfamil Nutragimen formula (that sells for $25/can) to see if she might be allergic to the protein in my breast milk (the formula is made for babies with protein allergy). Well, that stuff STUNK real bad and Alyssa hated it, but it worked and I noticed a difference that same night. Alyssa was a completely different baby. She slept, was happy and much more like my other babies. But, again, she hated it. So I went to the store and bought some Enfamil Gentlease with proteins that are partially broken down, thus easier to digest...this worked as well, and it smelled much better (like normal formula) and she drank it fine. So, it appears that she has a very hard time digesting milk proteins and my breast milk has been very hard on her causing her a lot of gas and pain. So, that's the sad part. I have had a very hard time with the idea of formula feeding her; it breaks my heart, and I have shed many tears this week. She is my last baby and I really hope I can continue to feed her myself, plus, it's what she likes as well. So I have been hard at working to eliminate ALL dairy from my diet (the sourse of protein in my milk). Not much I can eat now, but I am determined to do this!!! It's been a rough week , but at least we seem to have some answers and can now figure out the solution...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to you. I hope you can find what works best for you and your baby. I am sorry to hear that. Good luck!

hillari said...

I feel bad for you Sarah! Hopefully eliminating the dairy will help--but that sounds so difficult as well. Good luck.

Kandice and Rob said...

I'm glad she's finally feeling good now! The nursing & dairy issues stink for you, though. I hope you're both doing OK!

Brandi Jo said...

That is good that you guys figured it out. Good luck trying to figure it all out.

BTW- have you guys seem any more scorpions? We have... and we have been having our house sprayed. I still haven't done the black light thing. I should, and figure out where they are coming from... YUCK!

kara said...

Wow Sarah I didn't know you were even expecting! What was all that talk about Kaylee being your last one. . . . I guess you never know what blessings the Lord has in store. I'm glad she is feeling better. You look great by the way I'm amazed by everything you get accomplished in a day. I'm glad you found our blog we miss you too. Ty still plays with Mac's trailer that Ryan gave him. :)

Krystal said...

I think you should update your blog so we can all know how your daughter is doing now! :D

The West Family said...

Sarah, I have not been for awhile so forgive me for being behind. Your family photo is wonderful. Thanks for letting Jake come to the party the other day. He and Patrick had a good time.